Wednesday, December 12, 2007

And we're off

So after I saw my doctor, I made the appointment for November 28 to have the HLA tissue typing done. We spent the whole day there, and then the following friday, which was Dec 7, I got a call from my mother to say she had gotten a call from the clinic to say that both she and my father were a match. She was a 5 point match out of 6, and my father was a four point match.

The coordinator explained to us during the class that these days anyone who is between a 1 and 5 point match can be a potential donor. Its the same difference between 1 and 5, the kidney will last the same legnth of years. For two people that are a 6 point match, the kidney has the potential to last much longer.

My mothers call kind of creeped me out. My mother and I are kind of close, but not in a real affectionate kind of way I guess. I don't know if that makes sense, but lets just quickly say that every year for my birthday I get to hear the story of how she almost died giving birth to me. How the doctors had told her she should have an abortion at 7 months, and she refused and made arrangements for my older brother and sister's care. Her phone call to tell me she "had news" kind of creeped my out in a way that I couldn't explain without sounding like an ungrateful jerk. It was that she was so enthusiastic, almost overly enthusiatic - excited I guess.

Anyway, the next phase now will be to decide who goes to the next round of testing.

No comments: